Saturday 17 May
11:00 am – 3:00 pm
Come and help out for a day of gardening and fun exercise and be part of the Chelsea Fringe.
No experience needed. All welcome
Even an hour of your time would be much appreciated.
The garden is entirely looked after by volunteers.
The Chelsea Fringe runs from 17 May to 8 June 2014 www.chelseafringe.com
Bonnington Square Garden Needs You
Please come and help out at the volunteer workday on Saturday 15 March from lO am. No gardening knowledge is needed, just your enthusiasm. Bonnington Square Garden is nearly 20 years old and needs you to get involved to keep it going.
Who looks after the garden?
• The garden is maintained by the residents of the area through the Bonnington Square Garden Association (BSGA).
• The association is open for anyone to join.
• The BSGA pay the bills for running of the garden (water, electricity, repairing damaged and worn out bits of the garden, replacing plants etc) and organise garden workdays and events in the garden.
• Currently only a small group of residents volunteer their time and effort to look after the garden and get involved in the running of the garden by being members of BSGA.
The BSGA receive no ongoing funding from any source for the garden. Lambeth Council does not give any money to the garden.
Who looks after the planted areas around the square?
As well as the garden the planted areas in the street also need to be cared for, they need weeding, managing plant growth and watering etc. This is what it looked like before the street plots!
To make sure all the areas are being cared for we would like to get a list of people that look after different parts of the square.
- If you already look after an area, thank you and a can you email us so we know?
- If you want to look after an area can you email us and say which area? Please email us at [email protected]
We desperately need more people to become involved in the garden. There are many ways you can help:
- Give your time – Do a bit of gardening on our volunteer workdays (next one is Saturday 15th March) no gardening knowledge needed. Help out at garden events.
- Fundraising – Help with ideas on raising money; offer to donate things to sell such as baking cakes for garden events.
- Donate – If you can’t give your time you can donate money or items which we need e.g. a new picnic table or tool storage box, garden hose etc.
- IT/Web skill – we need help keeping a website about the garden up-to-date.
- Ideas – get involved with thinking how the garden should be used and designed.The garden is running out of money- The garden costs about 1000 a year just to maintain and when we have to repair vandalism or replace plants this cost goes up. Last year we only received £168 in donations.
If you would like to make a donation please make cheques payable to: Bonnington Square Garden Association and send to: BSGA Treasurer, 52 Bonnington Square.
A bit of history
In 1990 a builder working in the area applied to the Council to use the site of the garden for storage. The Bonnington Square Garden Association was formed by Local Residents to lay claim to the “wasteland”. Construction began in August 1994 transforming the land into a little slice of paradise that improves all our lives and is an inspiration to other communities that want to do the same.
Get involved in your garden
Get in contact: email bonnington-square-gardens©googlegroups.com
Please come and help out at the volunteer workday on Saturday 15 March from lOam.
No gardening knowledge is needed, just your enthusiasm.
Please find our BSGA March notice 2014.pdf, in poster format.
The Keybridge House planning meeting has unexpectedly been scheduled for Tuesday 28 January, 7pm at Lambeth Town Hall. The main concerns are that the provision of a primary school on the site (without proper play space) instead of social/affordable housing would be bad news for locals in basic housing need, Vauxhall Park and the new school’s future pupils. Plus, Lambeth seems to be unwilling to satisfy a FoI request from Friends of Vauxhall Park regarding the viability of the development, which the developer claims is reducing the scope for social/affordable housing.
It would be really helpful to have as many people as possible attend the planning meeting in support of objectors (limited to three) who are permitted to speak for just two minutes each.
For details for the meeting, please go to Vauxhall Spring on www.vivavauxhall.com or click on the link below, which will take you to the home page & events calendar of the KOV Forum.
The Bonnington Square Garden Association
Invites all to the AGM
Wednesday 29th January 2014
@ The Bonnington Centre
Election of Officers/Executive Committee
Any other Business
Big Garden Clean-Up Day
Weekend 15/16 March
All help greatly appreciated!
The concert hall at the Sydney Opera House holds 2,700 people. This blog was viewed about 18,000 times in 2013. If it were a concert at Sydney Opera House, it would take about 7 sold-out performances for that many people to see it.
In 2013, there were 8 new posts, growing the total archive of this blog to 19 posts.
Happy New Year!